Flow state happens when you're engaged on a task to the point you easily lose track of time. You feel great and you also feel productive in this state.
How do you get into a flow state? It doesn't happen by accident. You can actually get into the flow state proactively when you're working on something challenging but interesting to you. There are also other triggers that can get you into the flow.
To name a few (with the help of others)
- Remove all distractions: Turn off all notifications and put your phone away so you can focus on your task at hand.
- Prepare a ritual before you start: It serves as a cue before you start working. After the ritual, you're more ready to start your work.
- Listen to the right music: Listen to music that has no vocals or something old/repetitive. If you listen to new music especially with vocals, it may have to compete with your brain and disrupt your flow.
- Make sure you're working on something challenging enough to keep your engaged. If it's something dull, you might not have the motivation to work.
- Make sure you also have a goal in mind. What are you trying to achieve within that time? If it's too vague, that may also hinder your flow state.
- Find out the best timing that works for you. Are you a morning person? Tackle the most important tasks in the morning.
I'm writing these down but I still haven't figured out what works for me yet especially no. 2 and 6.